Peruvian Lomo Saltado (VEGAN)
When I first became vegan, I worried that I might have to give up some of my favorite dishes from my culture. In my eyes, Peruvian cuisine is some of the best food around. While most staple dishes consist of meat, I soon realized it isn't hard to find substitutes or workarounds that allow vegans to enjoy the same delicious meals, without the harm.
Here's what you'll need to make my version of Vegan Lomo Saltado:
- Rice (2 cups)
- Coconut oil
- Morning Star Steak Strips (1 package)
- 1 medium red onion
- 2 medium potatoes (whichever kind you prefer)
- 2 cups of fresh cilantro
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 1 lime
- Soy sauce
- Steak seasoning
- Garlic (minced)
This recipe makes enough for 1-2 people.
- Step 1: Prepare your rice by combining 2 cups of rice, 3 cups of water, and 1 tbs of coconut oil into a rice cooker. Stir to make sure the oil is as evenly distributed as it could be. Use your machine on as instructed.
- Step 2: Cut potatoes into thin long pieces, similar to french fries. Next, prepare your pan by heating up 2 tbs of coconut oil on a medium low flame. When oil is hot, add fries and lightly season with adobo. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until fries are brown and crispy.
- Step 3: While fries are cooking, chop 1/2 an onion and 3 tomatoes into large thick slices. Next, rough chop 2 cups of cilantro, reserving 1 cup for steak strips. Once fries are done, add onions, tomatoes, and 1/2 cup of cilantro and stir to combine. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until tomatoes have softened.
- Step 4: Add 1/3 cup of soy sauce and vinegar to the mix, stirring to combine. Cover and cook for an addition 10 minutes. Once done, remove mixture from pan to a bowl and garnish with remaining 1/2 cup of cilantro.
- Step 5: Microwave steak strips for 1 minute to defrost. In the meantime, add 1 tbs of coconut oil to the same pan and heat on medium flame. Add strips once oil is hot. Allow strips to brown for 10 minutes.
- Step 6: While in pan, lightly season strips with steak seasoning and add remaining cilantro, juice of one lime, 1/4 cup of vinegar and 1 tbs of minced garlic. Stir to combine and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Step 7: When steak is done, serve with vegetable mixture and rice. Enjoy!